Important points in Residential Construing
Planning starts by dividing the construction works or scope in bits and pieces of manageable size which can be called as activities. Activities will be determined and be further subdivided by considering factors such materials used, skilled person needed and the preceding and succeeding activities. Points to consider in Residential construction, activities are usually arrange in this way;
1. Foundation and footing – Refers to the main frame that supports the building. Starts from the bottom going up. It starts with foundation and footing plans. The Foundation is done only once. It has to concrete and should full fill your current and future requirements as well. It should follow the drawings provided by the house designers.
2. Slab Casting Roofing works – Usually started after the completion of foundation and footing portions In some cases contract do the slab casting before brick work and placing chaukhat for doors and windows and in some cases they do the brick work and chaukhat first and then go for slab casting. There are no demerits in any way. Earlier one will save cost and time. To save costing, steel frames can be assembled in advance.
3. CHB laying – It totally depends on contractor’s methodology, it can either come alongside or after the structural works.
4. Plastering – After completing the structure and CHB laying you can go for plastering.
5. Waterproofing and topping – usually follows after plastering works, Waterproofing must be done while slab casting.
6. Windows installations – can be installed after plastering is completed.
7. Doors installation – Chaukhats can be alongside or after plastering or while doing the brick work, but the door itself can be installed later depending on the contractors preference. Exterior doors are usually installed first to provide building security and water-tightness of the structure.
8. Ceiling installation – This comes in two parts. The ceiling frame can be started after the plastering or the roofing is completed. Basic conduting has to be done while slab casting only. And after plastering you can do the wiring in ceiling.
9. Further wiring- Piping and placing boxes as per planning drawings has to be done before plastering. Further wiring can be done after plaster work, and placing switch boxes can be placed after pop or putty or painting work.
10. Floor tiles installation – Should come after plastering, waterproofing and topping works. Alternately done with ceiling installation to avoid overcrowding of the work area.
11. Wooden flooring – Installation of wood panels can be done once the building is watertight. Sanding and varnishing can be done during or after painting works. If done during painting works, protection for the floor must be provided after completion.
12. Plumbing pipes- Installation of plumbing pipes including drainage pipes and water supply has to be done after brick work and before plaster, so that all the cuts can be cover up in plaster.
13. Exterior development- Exterior development can be done after completing the plaster and painting work. While doing interior finishing you can complete the exterior development too.
14. Elevation finishing- Features of elevation has developed while doing brick work and plaster. So that you can play with colors or place tiles as per suggested elevation designs by house designer.
15. Carpentry works – You can go for carpentry work as per your choice. It includes making new furniture or remodeling of existing furniture. Comes when the building achieve water-tightness. Ideally comes after the tile works.
16. Fixtures installation – Usually done before or during painting works. It includes placing sanitary fitting and electrical fittings.
17. Painting – Usually is the last part of construction work. Although putty application and preparatory works can be done in advance. Usually after the ceiling completion.
18. Laminated flooring and carpets – it depend on home owner needs and requirement. Must be installed last to avoid unintentional damages.